The human brain uses the most energy compared to any other organ in the body. It uses up to 35 percent of the calories you consume. Make sure your brain is getting the nutrients it needs to function at its peak performance.
Know that your brain is functioning at its highest state with more cognitive ability, increased focus, and less stress with these 12 brain superfoods:
- Avocado - Avocados contain lutein, which is known to improve memory, cognitive performance, and maintain eye health.
- Salmon - Omega-3 fats found in fish are essential for brain function. They have neuroprotective properties, can increase neurogenesis, and may reduce inflammation in the brain. Salmon is one of the sources that provide the most Omega-3 fats.
- Dark Chocolate - Studies have shown that eating dark chocolate can increase activity in the areas of our brain that are responsible for cognition, memory, and mood.
- Coconut Oil - Coconut Oil provides the brain with energy in the form of ketones. While the brain uses typically uses glucose, ketones can give the brain an extra boost of energy.
- Green Tea - L-theanine found in green tea both relaxes the mind while increasing focus. It is a nutrient that can provide you with a calm demeanor while you need to be productive.
- Oregano - As an herb and essential oil, oregano can increase alertness while boosting your mood and your ability to stay motivated.
- Cinnamon - The antioxidants found in cinnamon have been linked to increased memory over time.
- Sweet Potato - Beta-carotene found in sweet potatoes may boost the brain by reducing oxidative stress and help you retain memory as you age.
- Walnuts - Walnuts are another alternative food to consume more Omega-3 fats for cognitive function.
- Berries - While many berries are rich in antioxidants, blueberries might be the most beneficial berry to consume for cognitive function. They reduce inflammation and protect brain cells by balancing free radicals.
- Leafy Greens - Leafy greens like kale are high in vitamin-E, which is a different type of antioxidant that can support brain health and decrease cognitive decline.
- Mint - Mint has been shown to increase blood flow to the brain, which can also improve concentration.